When an adult is arrested, he is fingerprinted. The fingerprints are used to establish the identity of an individual even if he gives a false name at the time of arrest. The arrest fingerprint card is the beginning of the criminal history record.
If an adult pleads guilty to, or is found guilty of, a criminal offense in ND, the conviction will appear on the individual’s criminal history record information; it cannot be expunged.
A Criminal History Record check result provides North Dakota records of:
- Convictions (regardless of how old).
- Charges that were dismissed, or did not result in conviction, or do not have a court disposition, and are less than three years old.
- Jail or prison custody records less than three years old.
The record check does NOT include:
- Charges that were dismissed, or did not result in conviction, or do not have a court disposition that are more than three years old.
- Jail or prison custody records more than three years old.
- Juvenile records
- Federal records
- Most traffic offenses (Contact the ND Department of Transportation)
- Civil judgments (Contact the Courts)
- Records from other states
View a sample “Criminal History Record Check result sheet.”Obtain a National (FBI) Record Check