nd.gov - The Official Portal for North Dakota State Government
North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends
I Need To Change My Name or Update The Address On The License

Name Change:
By law, your license MUST be reissued after a name change so that it reflects your current name. There is no charge for the reissued license. It takes about 2-3 weeks for the license to be reissued. The BCI sends renewal notices to the last known address of the licenseholder. If you do not notify us of address changes, you may  not receive a renewal reminder notice.

If the name change is a result of MARRIAGE, also send a photocopy of your marriage certificate along with a note explaining that your name has changed because you got married. Be sure to include your full maiden name, married name and your current mailing address. If the name change is a result of DIVORCE or COURT ORDER for change of name, you must submit a certified copy of the court’s judgment or order. You can obtain a certified copy from the clerk of court in which the legal action took place. There is usually a fee for the certified copy. Send the certified copy, along with a note explaining the reason for your name change. Be sure to include your old name, the new name and your current mailing address.

Send your NAME CHANGE notification along with your license and any required documentation to:

BCI CWL Section
PO Box 1054
Bismarck, ND 58502

Write “NAME CHANGE” on the front of the envelope.

For security reasons, the BCI is not able to accept a CHANGE OF NAME notification via email or telephone. Sorry, due to the volume of mail we receive, we cannot acknowledge receipt of these notification letters.