Timely renewal is the responsibility of the license holder. You can begin the renewal process up to 180 days prior to the license expiration date. The BCI must receive your properly completed renewal application before the expiration date of your license. An expired license cannot be renewed - you will need to start over as a new applicant and complete all required testing.CLASS 1 RENEWAL – To renew a valid Class 1 license, you first need to complete the testing process, just as you did for your initial license.
CLASS 2 RENEWAL – No additional testing is required to renew a valid Class 2 license.
- Download and complete the Application form. Make sure you complete every question. You will need to sign the form in TWO places. If the form is not properly completed, signed and dated, it will be returned. If renewing a Class 1 license, contact a Test Administrator to schedule the required testing.
- A Class 1 license can be renewed as a Class 2 license simply by marking "Class 2" on the application form. No additional testing is required, but the Class 2 license has reciprocity in fewer states than a Class 1 license.
- YOU MUST DISCLOSE ANY offense with which you have EVER been charged, arrested or convicted, at ANY time in your adult life – EVEN if the sentence was deferred, the charges later dismissed, or the conviction later expunged from your court record. If you don’t remember the exact details, write what you can remember. Failure to make full disclosure is a “material misstatement" and will result in denial of your application.
- 2 color passport quality photographs – write your name on the back of each photo. No glasses, prescription eye wear, hats, headgear or uniforms may be worn. Many local post offices, photographers, photo studios in department stores, travel agents, and insurance companies take passport photos - please check your phone book. Non-approved photographs will be destroyed and application returned; applicant will be required to resubmit the application with acceptable photographs.
- A cashier’s check or money order for $60.00 for the non-refundable application processing fee, made payable to ND ATTORNEY GENERAL. Write your name on the cashier’s check or money order. NO personal checks, NO joint (husband/wife) payments.
- A copy of your current driver’s license. If you do not have a ND driver’s license, you also will need a copy of a valid concealed weapon license from your home state, which state must have reciprocity with ND;
ND BCI - CWL
PO BOX 1054
BISMARCK ND 58502-1054
It takes up to 60 days to process a properly completed application form that has all required attachments. If your form is incomplete or missing an attachment, it will be returned. If your application satisfies the criteria established by law, your license will be issued within 60 days; if not, you will receive a denial letter.
Each application must be in a separate envelope – no joint (husband/wife) or bulk submissions. Applications must be submitted by mail; the BCI does not accept hand delivered applications.