When an adult is arrested, he is fingerprinted. The fingerprints are used to establish the identity of an individual even if he gives a false name at the time of arrest. The arrest fingerprint card is the beginning of the criminal history record.
If an adult pleads guilty to, or is found guilty of, a criminal offense in ND, the conviction will appear on the individual’s criminal history record information; it cannot be sealed or expunged. Even if information on an individual's court record is sealed or expunged, that does not remove it from the individual's ND criminal history record.
Note: Even if information (such as not filed, dismissed, orsentence that is older than years) is not included on the criminal history record check result, it is always available to law enforcement officials.
A Criminal History Record check result provides North Dakota records of:
- Convictions (regardless of how old).
- Charges that were dismissed, or did not result in conviction, or do not have a court disposition, and are less than three years old.
- Jail or prison custody records less than three years old.
The record check does NOT include:
- Charges that were dismissed, or did not result in conviction, or do not have a court disposition that are more than three years old.
- Jail or prison custody records more than three years old.
- Juvenile records
- Federal records
- Most traffic offenses (Contact the ND Department of Transportation)
- Civil judgments (Contact the Courts)
- Records from other states
If no criminal record is found or the information is not releasable, the requester will receive a notice stating "No information is available either because no information exists or dissemination is prohibited.
View a sample “Criminal History Record Check result sheet.”Obtain a National (FBI) Record Check