Timely renewal is the responsibility of the license holder. You can begin the renewal process up to 180 days prior to the license expiration date. An expired license cannot be renewed.
- CLASS 1 RENEWAL– To renew a valid Class 1 license, you first need to complete the testing process, just as you did for your initial license. To renew a valid Class 1 license, you first need to complete the testing process, just as you did for your initial license. You can “downgrade” to a class 2 license and avoid having to redo the testing simply by indicating on the renewal application form that you would like a class 2 license. The Class 2 license has reciprocity with many fewer states than a Class 1 license.
- CLASS 2 RENEWAL – You do not have to do any testing (even if the license expires while the renewal application is being processed). To upgrade from a Class 2 to a Class 1, you must start over as a new applicant and complete all required testing and attach all documents required of a new applicant. Please refer to: http://www.ag.nd.gov/BCI/CW/Apply.htm.
- COMPLETE the Application online. Be sure to DISCLOSE ALL OFFENSES (even dismissed charges) in response to the questions. If you do not disclose something, your renewal application WILL be denied. If you cannot remember exact details, provide as much information as you can.
- Click to submit the completed application form AND PRINT IT.
- If you are a CLASS 1 Applicant, you need to find a test administrator so you can take the required testing. TAKE the competed application form with you – the test administrator needs to complete the testing section and sign the form.
- Make sure you have SIGNED AND DATED the form. If you are a CLASS 1 applicant or you answered YES to Question #13, you must sign and date the form in TWO places.
- Attach ALL required documents and the fee to the completed application form. MAIL the application form, the FEE, and all the required documents to:
- Be PATIENT. It takes up to 60 days to process the application form – longer if you forgot to attach something. Once the application is processed, you will receive either a license or a denial letter. The BCI cannot acknowledge receipt of your application. If you would like confirmation that BCI received your application, you may wish to mail it via "certified mail, return receipt requested" or a similar process that provides a tracking number.
ND BCI - CWL
PO BOX 1054
BISMARCK ND 58502-1054