nd.gov - The Official Portal for North Dakota State Government
North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends
Can I Open New Credit Accounts if My Files are Frozen?

Yes. If you want to open a new credit account or get a new loan, you can lift the freeze on your credit file. You can lift it for a period of time. Or you can lift it for a specific creditor. After you send your letter asking for the freeze, each of the consumer reporting agencies will send you a Personal Identification Number (PIN). You will also get instructions on how to lift the freeze. If you make the request by phone it only takes about 15 minutes for a temporary lift to take effect; mailed requests may take up to two business days. The fee for lifting the freeze temporarily is $5.00. You must make a separate request and pay a separate fee to each agency.

Previous Next